This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #WhatInconvenience #CollectiveBias
Yes painful, stiff fingers and hands can make everyday life a struggle, but it doesn’t have to hinder our enjoyment of it. With May being National Arthritis Month, I decided this would be the perfect time to share some arthritic life hacks passed down from my Mom (who suffers from osteoarthritis), along with a few of the ones I’ve picked up along the way since being diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in 2009. Check them out and feel free to add some of your own.
In our tech world, it’s easy to get hand and finger fatigue and pain with all they typing we do on our computers and mobile devices. However, with talk to type features, you can easily find relief. I know I always make it a point to out find how to do it, via Google/YouTube, as I replace my old devices with new ones.
Are jars your nemesis? Consider using a non slip rubber pad, dryer sheet, or damp washcloth to help you grip the lid open.
Do you struggle carrying in your grocery bags? Skip the plastic bags and go for paper bags, or your own easy grip bag. However, if plastic bags are all you have, then make sure you carry them on your forearms, not your elbows, since they are better equipped to carry weight.
- stay away from sugar, processed foods, red meat, and dairy since they tend to promote inflammation;
- apply heat to stiff joints in the morning to help relax the muscles around them, and use ice at night to ease daily joint inflammation;
- incorporate low impact exercises to maintain flexibility;
- and take Advil, the most doctor recommended OTC pain reliever for joint pain*, as needed
Dealing with a chronic illness is no joke, but thanks to these arthritic life hacks, the fab information available from the Better Living Toolkit, and the availability of the OTC pain reliever Advil, most everyone in my life has no idea I suffer from arthritis. If you want to be the same, try these solutions out for yourself and head to your neighborhood Walmart to stock up on Advil EZ Open (which has an EZ open cap perfect for people struggling with arthritis and needing minor relief from the pain of arthritis**).
Here’s to Healthy Living!
What arthritic life hacks or better living tools have you seen used, or do you use in your life?
*Based on a survey of monthly doctor recommendations.
**For minor arthritis pain. Among OTC pain relievers.
Latest posts by Rocio Chavez (see all)
- Beginners Guide to Intuitive Eating - February 13, 2019
- Wow with These Envy™ Apple Recipes from Central Market’s Cooking Class - January 23, 2019
- It’s Tamalada Season - December 20, 2018