I never realized this, but the State Fair of Texas is the largest state fair in the nation. It’s no wonder that those in Texas and beyond love going. If you’re thinking of going, you’ve gotta check out my ultimate guide to the State Fair of Texas.
Preparing for the State Fair
If you’re on a budget, this step is critical in getting the most bang for your buck.
- Before you head out for a day at the fair, visit their website to find ways to save on admission and even food and ride coupons.
- If food is still out of your budget, don’t worry. They allow outside food and even a cooler. Just be prepared for it to be searched upon entry. Note: alcohol, glass containers, and metal knives and forks are prohibited.
- Next you’ll want to focus on how you’ll get there. If you can take a ride share or the DART train to the Fair Park or MLK Jr. station, I suggest you do. Parking isn’t cheap and the traffic to get in and out of your parking spot can be heavy at times.
- Lastly make sure you wear comfortable shoes. The State Fair of Texas isn’t the largest fair for no reason. Those fair grounds go on and on.
What is there to see and do at the State Fair?
The fair has something for everyone, from foodies, to thrill seekers, to football, music, and nature lovers.
Foodies. Whether you love traditional fair food like Fletcher’s Corny Dogs (found near Big Tex) or love all things fried, your taste buds will be happy at the fair. Just make sure you have plenty of coupons to cover your turkey leg, funnel cake (inside food court), and deep-fried oreos/s’mores (found in Midway).
Need something to wash them down? The fair has everything from water, to fried lemonade. But you don’t have to spend an arm an a leg for the usuals. Keep your eyes peeled for the 2-coupon water stands and 6-coupon beers in the Midway and Beer Barn directly in front of the Cotton Bowl.
Want to save even more? Hit up the fair on Thrifty Thursday to save on certain fair foods.
Thrill seekers, grab your ride coupons and head to the State Fair Midway to enjoy over 60 rides, including the iconic Texas Star Ferris Wheel.
Want a different kind of thrill that doesn’t require coupons, head over to the Chevrolet Ride & Drive. They have two awesome tracks where you can strap in and test drive one of their amazing vehicles. I know I loved driving up to the State Fair of Texas in a 2019 Chevrolet Silverado. Check out my review and get a glimpse of the cool tracks at the State Fair.
Can’t get enough cars? Then head on over to the Texas Auto Show to check out the latest models from the world’s leading car manufacturers.
If football is your thing, the Cotton Bowl hosts NFL viewing parties and at least three college games throughout the fair, including the Red River Showdown, with University of Texas vs. University of Oklahoma.
Love music? There are live performances across the fair. From the Bud Light Stage, to the Dr Pepper Stage, to the Chevrolet Main Stage. That’s where I caught Morris Day and the Time put on an amazing show.
If animals and nature are your thing, then you’ll want to check out the barns. You’ll get to see people from across the state showcase their animals in competition, learn about the incubation process for different breeds at the Livestock Birthing Barn, and at Home on the Range there’s a petting zoo combined with a fun miniature farm for kids to practice their agricultural skills.
As you can see there is something for everyone. They even offer nightly fireworks. So if you get a chance, head out to the State Fair of Texas and enjoy. You’ll be glad you did.
Have you been to the State Fair of Texas? What’s your favorite spot or tip for tackling the largest state fair in the nation?
Disclosure: I was not compensated for this post, but I was provided this 2019 Chevrolet Silverado for review. Don’t worry though, all opinions about their fabulousness are my own!
Latest posts by Rocio Chavez (see all)
- It’s Tamalada Season - December 20, 2018
- Customize Your Look with eShakti FX - December 14, 2018
- Texas Wine Country Offers Fab Wines & Amazing Backdrops - November 6, 2018