Weight Loss Wednesday – True Confessions
If you’ve been reading my blog for the past several months, you will notice that my common theme has been more on living in the moment and less about figuring out how to work weight loss into it. While I’m a general multi-tasker at heart, I can’t seem to find a way to multi-task how I feel about everything in my life. One day it will all flow together, I’m sure, but I’m just not there yet. This is why I felt the need to keep myself accountable by creating a Weight Loss Wednesday series so I can post about successes and ultimate pitfalls, because we all know that when you’re dealing with any type of change – specifically weight loss – they are bound to happen.
This is why I’m kicking off my first Weight Loss Wednesday with a true confession. I’ve gained back the 6 lbs I was so excited about losing over the last 2-3 months. Granted, this is not the best time for me to be doing a weigh in, considering it’s that time of the month for me…I know, I know, TMI, but those of us who go through this every month, we know bloating and water weight are normal, but 6 lbs. has never been normal for me. Thus, the only conclusion is that the cravings and desire to eat everything in site, which is also a side effect of our monthly, has taken its toll.
I don’t know about you, but the cravings and desire to eat everything in sight starts 2 weeks prior to the actual start of my period. I know, its crazy, but that is how it goes for me and this time around I have given in to every desire. I’ve had ice cream, cotton candy (more than once), fried foods and lots and lots of tortillas, so duh, yes it makes sense that I was able to find the 6 lbs I thought I had lost for good.
I know this isn’t the first time, nor will it be the last time I go through this yoyo weight loss, but revisiting Dr. Brene Brown’s Daring Greatly pointers this weekend, I realized I was wallowing in shame over allowing myself to overeat and gain all the weight again. Dr Brown believes the only way to let go of shame is to share it and allow vulnerabilty in, so what better way than to share this on my blog. See this blog in general is an exercise in vulnerability for me because its false sense of anonymity allows me to open up and share my flaws and opinions without fear of judgment. This has been a great personal growing ground, which I credit with moving me toward trying to find that same vulnerability with those I’m closest too – my partner, my family and my friends. As you may have seen from my previous post, The Ego Is So Unflattering, Yet So Hard to Shake, it’s a definite work in progress because of that 3 letter word; but I do feel my battle against it, has also had me turning to food for comfort because letting go of my Ego is proving to be the hardest habit I’ve had to break.
So there you have it, what took me 3 months to lose, I have found in a little over 2 weeks. I’ve now shared it and hope that letting go of the shame of it, will keep me from going down this weight gain spiral. It feels good actually and I’m starting to feel revived again. Thankfully I’ve had no issues keeping myself on the exercise track – which as I’ve pointed out several times, only controls about 20% of weight loss, while food choices make up the other 80%. So back to the drawing board it is. As of today I will begin logging all my food intake again and go back to bringing intuitive eating back into to my Getting Skinny journey. 🙂 If you find that you’re also ready to start or restart your Getting Skinny journey, join me…the more the merrier. 😀
What weight loss confession are you ready to share? What sabotages your weight loss goals? What motivates you back toward your weight loss goals?
- Valentine’s Day Gift Guide for Her - February 10, 2020
- Rice Stuffing Plus Holiday Wine Pairings with Kuhlman Cellars - November 21, 2019
- 5 New Orleans Must Do’s - November 19, 2019